Sunday, January 27, 2008

Virtual housekeeping

No drastic changes, but I've reorganized the site layout and other features in order to make everything more user-friendly. The new search feature is from Google's Blogger Beta in Draft, and it's terrific. I've removed the SnapShots feature. Categories [labels] have been edited and expanded.

Dog Bites: Information and Statistics was begun in November 2007, and within a month was appearing among the first twenty results for dog bite and dog attack statistics using Google Search -- often in the first ten, and occasionally at the top. I welcome the visits and the responsibility.

The words I wrote in the first post are as heartfelt today as ever:

I'm not interested in cherry-picking studies to make specific breeds look good or bad: in fact, I believe the "safe breed"/"dangerous breed" dichotomy is one of the reasons dog bites are as common as they are. The aim of Dog Bites: Information and Statistics is to counter the ignorance and urban legend surrounding the topic by providing the most factual and up-to-date statistics on dog bites and dog attacks.
The purpose of this site is to provide easy access to solid research on dog bites: to provide links to peer-reviewed studies and reports from the most respected sources. A narrow focus, but an important one, and I look forward to adding more studies from the U.S. and abroad. Thanks for reading!



AddThis Social Bookmark Button

2 comments:

Brittney said...

There is no such thing as a dangerous or safe dog breed.

Charles Duncan said...

I am curious what you think of the dog death statistics compiled by http://www.dogsbite.org/. Clearly relying on media accounts has its statistical drawbacks, there may be deaths not reported, and media accounts are not official, consistent, or peer reviewed. Yet I think this is a very important function that someone, without a dog in the fight should be doing. I would rather this be done officially; and done consistently and reliably.

But dogbites.org, and those others driven by dog bite victims, as well as the horrendous media accounts; are what is driving the breed specific legislation. I hate to use this analogy, but it is MADD model; private and public anger fueling public policy.

I applaud your attempt to look at the studies, and dissect them critically. I am neither a dog owner, nor expert in this area. But I think that dog owning community has an up-hill fight with the breed issue; I think there are enough statistics (for better or worse), and anger flying around the public debate, that more and more communities may choose to ban certain breeds. Gosh knows, Google “dog bites lawyer” and your state name and you will find a host of personal injury lawyers ready to take on a dog owner and his or her insurance company over a dog bite incident.